Find Your Reader Personality Type (Basic) – Self-Scored
While most of our visitors prefer the standard online assessment, we also recognize that there are cases where the old-fashioned pen and paper version works best. To this end, below is the full text of the Reader Personality Type (Basic).
This allows anyone to see all of the options at a glance, and score the quiz themselves. This also allows teachers and librarians to administer the assessment offline, or in contexts where online access is limited.
1. If you could choose a picture to hang in your room, it would be a picture of:
- A sports team or an animal.
- Something amazing or extraordinary.
- Something dangerous or scary.
- A picture of a scientist, an atom, or all the presidents.
2. Which would you like to do at recess?
- Play kickball with a bunch of people.
- Pretend you are someone else in time or that you’re a prince or a princess.
- Make a crazy obstacle course where you crawl, swing as high and run as fast as you can.
- Set up a race to see who is fastest or strongest or explore and find bugs or cool rocks.
3. Which statement describes a response most like you when you are asked, “What would you like for snack after school?”
- I like to eat the same thing every day so I know what to expect.
- I like to eat a snack that makes me feel good.
- I like to be surprised and I like to try new things.
- I would like to have a variety pack so I can see the best snack and the worst snack at the same time.
4. You have $20.00 to spend. What would you prefer to do with your money?
- I’d spend it doing something with my friends or family.
- I’d go to a movie or buy a book.
- I’d buy a remote controlled vehicle or something else I see in the store that looks exciting.
- I’d choose something I’d been saving for or waiting to buy.
5. You are invited to pick a pet for your family. You would prefer…
- An animal that my family picks and that I can take care of.
- A pet that will understand you.
- Whatever pet you see that you like at the time.
- To read about pets first and then using what I learned, I’d choose the right kind.
6. At home you choose to:
- Organize a game with your friends or family.
- Read or play a game with pretend characters.
- Climb a tree or do something with tools.
- Build a model or learn how something works.
7. If you could go on a trip, you would rather…
- See a ballgame with your best friends.
- Travel to a new city or country to see something amazing.
- Go to the biggest/scariest amusement park or water park.
- Dig up dinosaur bones with a real scientist.
8. You get to read a magazine after you finish your classwork. You would choose a magazine about:
- Horses or dogs or sports or friendships or fashion (maybe not all but one or two of these).
- Courageous people, historical people, other countries, quizzes about myself.
- Manga, cartoon superheroes, skateboarding, video game magazines.
- Current events in the world.
9. Your parents told you that you can pick something to do next Saturday. You would most like to:
- Have friends come over to your house.
- Put on a play or read a book.
- Go rock climbing blindfolded or go to a skateboard park.
- Create something out of Legos or build a model.
10. To you a good friend is someone who:
- Likes to play games with you.
- Understands how you feel and doesn’t hurt your feelings.
- Is up for any adventure.
- Likes to talk about world events, history or science.
The assessment is very easy to score—simply count up how many you answered of of each letter (A, B, C, or D).
If most of your answers were “A,” then your reading personality type is the Team Player. Team Players are all about the heart. They care deeply for others and have great empathy for the characters they read about. (Learn More)
If most of your answers were “B,” then your reading personality type is The Champion. “Who am I?” “Why am I here?” “How can I make the world a better place?” These are the kinds of questions a Champion is likely to ask. (Learn More)
If most of your answers were “C,” then your reading personality type is The Jokester. Jokesters aren’t all silliness and humor. They love doing things, and look for books that feed their appetite for experiences. (Learn More)
If most of your answers were “D,” then your reading personality type is The Investigator. Investigators like facts and information. They seek to understand and love gathering knowledge about big questions. (Learn More)
What if there is a tie?
You’re not alone—many of us don’t fit into a single Reader Personality Type. You have even have one primary type and several secondary types. The important thing is to realize that everyone is different, and not everyone fits into the same box. These Reader Types are simply a quick and easy way to help you find books that you will love.
We wish you happy journeys in all your reading adventures!