Review Detail

2.0 1 3
Realistic/Contemporary Fiction September 10, 2013 1307
Rating

This book picks up right where the other left off as the sisters return home to New York. They were changed by the events of their summer with Mom/Cecile and now they will continue with those life changes. Dad has a new girlfriend, Uncle Darnell is coming home from Vietnam (but is not the same man), and Delphine has many surprises in her sixth grade classroom.

I read the author's note and some other material about Williams-Garcia and I think she accomplished what she intended with this book. While the story doesn't read as easily as the first book there is still merit here. I like the idea of setting a story during that turbulent summer from the viewpoint of Delphine. This story is more personal. I could tell that the author was sharing bits of a real experience. If it wasn't her own experience it was that of someone near to her. However, therein lies the problem with the pacing of this book. While I felt the first story was something many could identify with because of that history of that time, this more personal story is a bit slower.

While it speaks to life experiences that are relevant today (family separation, step-parents, family members returning from war, and finding a place in middle school) the setting is not quite as recognizable to all readers.

I've encountered several books set in the 1960's during this past year. It must be a trend. I've also seen teachers use these books as a jumping-off point for engaging research to help readers of today relate to things from 50 years ago. I recommend this book and will be sharing it with my students this week.
LH
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account