- Leif, the third son of Eirik the Red, known to us as Leif Eriksson, sailed from Greenland to the New World, probably following a course that led him from Labrador to Florida but historians don't really know. It's one of the great history mysteries.
- In this fictionalized recounting, Leif's Viking daughter, tells the tale, in the tradition of the Icelandic oral sagas, of her father's voyage. Nordic lore has it that Leif and his father set out but when his father was incapacitated, Leif took over and directed the crew to the area where another crew member had previously sighted unexplored lands. Well-researched, the narrative will intrigue young detectives fascinated by history's mysteries.
- 40 pages 978-0689804922 Ages 7-10
- Keyword: Greenland
- Recommended by: Barb Langridge, abookandahug.com
- "According to Icelandic Sagas, Leif Eiriksson and his crew made landfall in North American around 1000 A.D. Inspired by Leif's wanderings and his amazing voyage of discovery, Jonathan Hunt traveled to Newfoundland to research the story behind this heroic Viking explorer. The resulting picturebook biography is illustrated with intricate paintings that illuminate for young readers both the spirit and the realities of Viking life and travel. Full color. "--from the publisher
Leif's Saga A Viking Tale
Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing 1996
Social Studies Curriculum
Have you read this book? We'd love to hear what you think. Click the button below to write your own review!
Already have an account? Log in now