Review Detail

3.0 1 3
Fiction October 01, 2018 3959
Rating

This book is scary because the scenario is not a new one in world history. Neither is it something that occurred a long time ago. It is a real and current issue in America.
The book is set the near future. The powers are once again forcing segregation and it’s not Hitler this time abusing his power promoting racism. It is the president of The United States of America. I don’t believe he is ever named but I may be wrong. Read the first paragraph on page 26, chapter 3 of the hardback. Too long to quote and may violate copyright.

One night, seventeen-year-old Layla and her parents are given ten minutes to pack up their things before they are taken to an internment camp for Muslim Americans. There, they are held under guard, along with many others, separated by race and encouraged to police one another.
Anyone who complains is forcibly ‘disappeared’. Layla is a normal teen who is horrified by how fearful and compliant her parents have become. These are living in unjust conditions. Layla is an American and her family had done nothing wrong and has never wronged anyone.
Layla, with her friends on the inside and boyfriend campaigning outside, she claims her voice and learns to fight for freedom for her family and the other people in the camp.

The scenario reminds me of American government’s ‘zero tolerance’ border protection program as well as the World War II internment of nearly 120,000 Japanese Americans.

This is a highly political novel with a compelling story.
Be sure to read the author’s notes at the end. She challenges young readers to educate themselves and to engage in active resistance.
There are also resources to learn more about Japanese internment in World War II.
Suitable for ages 14+.
JS
#1 Reviewer 21 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 3 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account