Review Detail

3.0 1 3
download (11)
Historical Fiction November 23, 2019 987
Rating

A must read!!!!
This is the wonderful story of a spunky, persevering and brave twelve year old girl named Ellie. The setting is the wild woods of Maine in the 1930’s. Her parents lost their home in the Great Depression and were forced to move, along with many neighbors, to the woods, where Ellie has learned to hunt, fish and start a fire among a multitude of other tasks. Now, Ellie’s skills and confidence put her at odds with her resentful mother and older sister, who miss their former life in town.

The story is told vividly contrasting life in town where folks walked on sidewalks instead of on pine-needle paths. Instead of paper currency the family must now for barter for things they need such as, eggs and medical care. Good bye to any sentimental possession that has value.
Life takes a drastic turn after the accident that put Ellie’s dad in a coma and left his family in a state of suspended grief and the backbreaking work of survival for a family of five in the wild.

Despite these hardships, Ellie uses her skills to help keep her family safe and fed and to find a way to wake up her father. Her unconventional yet logical efforts on this front are humorous and heartbreaking. Yet just maybe, hopeful.
Ellie’s life contains some big mysteries, as well. Who is leaving her beautifully carved miniature figurines? Might the “hag” who lives up the mountain know how to heal her father.

I felt I was right on the mountain with the families. I hurt, I was shocked, scared, on edge and just about any other emotion I could experience.

Wolk is an amazing writer and Echo Mountain is my Newbery pick so far this year. 2020
Historical fiction. Age 10+
JS
#1 Reviewer 21 reviews
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account