Unite For Literacy
The vision of Unite for Literacy is Book Abundance for all children everywhere, and to that end their website offers a free library of childrens' picture books. You can even have the books read to you in any one of twenty languages! A truly unique resource that everyone should be aware of.
Books for Striving Readers
Kids don't lose their teeth on the same schedule, nor do they take the training wheels off their bicycles at the same moment, developmentally. New readers don’t become confident readers on the same schedules, either. This website celebrates kids with vivid imaginations and ardent curiosity … especially kids whose reading fluency lags their appetites for books and stories. It is for the librarians, parents, and teachers who help these kids find books that will encourage them to keep reading. This is a collection of hi/lo book lists (high interest, low reading level), audio book suggestions, and book lists for reluctant readers. There is a blog where those interested in striving readers can contribute to a discussion and share resources. Amy Thurow, the author of the blog and webmaster, has a 13-year-old daughter with dyslexia. She has taught elementary school and she is preparing for a new career as a school librarian.
The Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes
The Gloria Barron Prize for Young Heroes honors outstanding young leaders who have made a significant positive difference to people and our planet. Their leadership and courage make them true heroes — and inspirations to us all.
Award-winning children's book author/illustrator Elizabeth O. Dulemba shares free coloring pages every week, author/illustrator interviews, marketing and illustration tips, industry news and events, groovy bookmobiles, and general things she just finds interesting.
James Patterson's ReadKiddoRead.com is a web site designed to help parents, teachers, and librarians ignite the next generation's excitement about reading by recommending books carefully chosen for their ability to enthrall young minds and instill a lifelong commitment to reading.
Complete with age designations, thoughtful book descriptions, author and celebrity interviews, and more, ReadKiddoRead.com will help make finding a book for a young person easy and, ultimately, rewarding. The site features:
- Hand-picked book selections by James Patterson in appropriate age categories
- Thoughtful descriptions of each recommended book with easily accessed links to online retailers including Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, Borders.com, and local independent booksellers
- A lively community network which will promote helpful discussions about personal experiences with books found on the site – or off of the site – that are great for kids
- Personal input and messages from Patterson about the importance of getting kids excited about reading and his own experience as a father of a ten-year-old son
- Contributions from other authors and celebrities, including Jeff Kinney (Diary of A Wimpy Kid), Rick Riordan (The Percy Jackson Series), Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton, Carl Hiaasen (Hoot), Sherman Alexie (The Absolute True Diary of a Part-time Indian) and more, who all passionately believe in the importance of getting kids excited about reading.